Numicon is based on sound and robust research spanning many decades, It is proven to have a significant and lasting impact on children's learning and future success. This is reflected in outstanding results.
Firm Foundations provides teachers and students with a conversation of maths - relationships between things, events and themselves. Young children are trying to join in with this big conversation. Mathematical conversation is exceedingly rich and varied. It takes a while for young children to join in. Numicon's great feature is the attention paid to the language of relationships
The Firm Foundations Teaching Pack - both print and online versions provides:
- A wide range of practical ideas for helping children to develop deep understanding of numbers and number relationships, shape, space and measurement.
- Creative suggestions for extending the learning across a variety of environments where children can explore the key concepts.
- Support for developing oral language skills
- Effective questions to guide children in their making connections and conversations
- Planning and assessment support
- A detailed guide to the key mathematical ideas children will meet
- Guidance on how best to implement Numicon in your setting.
- Photocopy Masters to support the activities
Activities have been extensively trialled with teachers and children; and derive from real classroom experience.
An overview of the Firm Foundations and Online version here
A spiral approach throughout the year - Key learning here
A sample pack be downloaded here to be updated soon
More information to download here as a PDF/Powerpoint to be updated soon
The Starter Apparatus Pack is sold separately as class or 1:1 options
Other products that are used alongside Firm Foundations are:
Numicon at the Seaside Large Foam Shapes . Pan Balance Firm Foundations Online