Our introductory Numicon Professional Development provides hands-on experience, enabling participants to realise Numicon’s potential to transform children’s attitude to maths and significantly increase their achievement.
We work closely with participants to develop their subject knowledge and pedagogy using Numicon effectively to meet the needs of the school’s improvement plan for mathematics.
School leaders, teachers, TAs and school learning communities.
The professional development allows participants quality time to familiarise themselves with the practical apparatus and the teaching support materials, which also includes an introduction to the theory and pedagogy of the Numicon Approach.
'An Introduction to Numicon' professional development consists of the following:
Option 1: Number, Pattern and Calculating and Geometry, Measurement and Statistics
Option 2: Number, Pattern and Calculating
Option 3: Using Numicon for students with special needs, high learning needs and underachievers from Years 0 - 11
Option 4: Using the Numicon Intervention Programme for ALIM or other requirements
Option 5: Themed - place value, basic facts, fractions, decimals, additive/multiplicative/proportional thinking, problem-solving
Numicon Ongoing Sustained Support
An opportunity to focus on a particular area of mathematics teaching
All educational settings
Our sustained programmes of support are unique to each school. This support is available if a school has previously received ‘An Introduction to Numicon’ professional development. Consultancy can be provided without need for school closure.
As well as being experts in the delivery of Numicon Professional Development, our consultant team have a wide variety of specialisms in mathematics. This expertise allows us to provide schools with support across an extensive range of topics.
Example areas of special focus– Student Needs
- Support and intervention
- Challenging the more able
- Putting mathematics in context
- Individual school focus– Leadership
- Coherent long term plan
- Reactive to school/ setting needs based on evidence and evaluation since introduction
- Practice and pedagogy
- Learning walks
- Assessment and planning
- Subject knowledge
- Implementing Numicon in your setting
- Supporting whole school community
- Planning and assessment
– Strand focused
i) calculation ii) numbers and the number system iii) pattern and algebra iv) geometry v) measurement and statistics
- Follow-up where use of Numicon has been extended with new resources, e.g. Geometry, Measurement and Statistics
- Numicon theory and methodology
- Develop practitioners use of the Numicon supporting materials through:
vi) Fractional and decimal numbers.
- Pedagogy and subject knowledge
– Phase focused
- Early Childhood
- Years 1 and 2
- Years 3 and 4
- Years 5 and 6
- Years 7 and 8
- Algebra for Year 9
- Fast tracking Years 5-9 students with Numicon
- Intermediate and secondary school support and intervention