Join us to become confident and capable in using the Numicon approach to teach to mastery and improve standards.
Our workshops and courses are designed to give you the opportunity to:
- Familiarize yourself with the resources and the theory behind the Numicon approach
- Appreciate the essential building blocks that underpin the key mathematical ideas
- Explore the benefits of using Numicon with all children
- Experience how the Numicon approach supports the aims of the NZ Curriculum
- Explore the range of teaching support materials and tools essential to the Numicon approach in preparation for implementation, or as a refresher
Who should attend?
All teachers, RTLB's, tutors, TA's and MOE staff
This course is suitable for teachers, teacher aides, SENCOs, RTLB's, MOE staff and specialist tutors. It is intended for teachers who are involved with classroom and/or remedial mathematics teaching.
The day will cover:
What is Maths?
What is Numicon?
Bruner, CPA and the impact of using structured apparatus
Teaching resources, Apparatus knowledge
How does Numicon help children learn so easily?
Understanding number sense
Difficulties in understanding maths and dyscalculia
Knowledge and strategies with + - x ÷
Place value and fractions
Decimals and percentages
Getting started in your school, class, group, practice with Breaking Barriers, NIP and Big Ideas.
Planning and assessment, linked to the NZ Curriculum
Thank you Margi for a great day! Thanks for your passion and expertise which you've shared.
An exciting resource I'm keen to use.
Clearly explained activities with links to the learner and classroom.
Thanks for a fantastic day!
We (Tori & I) attended your course on Friday in Christchurch.
It was fab. You knew your stuff, could speak directly from your own personal experience, evidence and research and also your heart about Numicon.
We have invested in sets of Numicon for our Yrs 1-3 classes and we are now thinking about the books and online resources to support teachers and pupils further, in the classroom.
Thank you for an inspiring day. You have a wonderful approach which is honest and believable.
Ka kite ano,
HELA Primary Maths
Amuri Area School
- I loved seeing how strand and number can be linked so well.
- Extending my own understanding of maths
- Different ways of helping students
- A great approach to bring maths alive for children
- Maths can be so easy! The programme has a huge variety of opportunities for learning
- Wonderful sequential presentation. Thanks so much!
- I loved the sensory approach!
- Great learning ideas linked with resources.
- Start with 'patterns' in New Entrants
- Transferring knowledge to life skills for everyone, including children with special needs
- developing greater understanding and competency in Maths
- I wish I had know about this when I was in the classroom! I will share it with many others as an RTLB.
- Materials are so important to use for everyone- right up through the school.
- Perfectly presented!
The Numicon Approach is a rich programme at all levels of maths education from early childhood to early secondary. You may want to explore Numicon before attending the course. This includes:
- Watching the videos on www.numicon.co.nz which gives an overview of the whole programme.
- A general internet search, including YouTube, Pinterest, Facebook...
Further information can be found on the ‘About Numicon’ section of the website
Spaces limited – booking essential.
Venue: Hornby School
Make A Booking
Note: After completing this page please choose the option to generate an invoice for payment.