This Student Book is for most students in Year 8/9. It has been adapted from the leading Singapore course. Rigorously reviewed by experienced UK and Singapore educators, it harnesses authentic Singaporean mastery values and embeds a growth mindset that everyone can succeed at maths.
- Includes learning objectives within each chapter opening, alongside an everyday example of the content to encourage real-life application of maths.
- Aids students' transition to Year 9/10 through 'Flashback' sections and 'Recall' boxes which provide a reminder of what was covered in primary years.
- Class activities offer a whole-class introduction to topics, with examples of how to teach using a Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract (CPA) approach.
- Incorporates worked examples to give students clear steps of how to present solutions, with hints and discussion points to encourage paired, group and whole-class working.
- Identifies problem-solving opportunities throughout exercises, with two separate problem-solving sections to further encourage skills development.
- Consolidates learning through levelled practice exercises, progressing from basic fluency to application to problem solving, and through end-of-chapter review exercises.
- Encourages students to reflect upon and embed their learning through a 'Write in Your Journal' feature at the end of each chapter.
- Features short answers in the back of the book to quickly resolve misconceptions, with fully-worked solutions in the Teacher Guide.
- Provides progression and practice for students, and is supported by a Workbook, Teacher Guide, Graded Question Bank, and Kerboodle digital resources.
For students who are not at this level, the 1A series may be more appropriate. It still covers the same curriculum level but with more visual and concrete supports, less text on the page and more supports in assessment.
For students requiring a great challenge, the level 1C in the series is more abstract in nature with 15% greater challenge than 1B.